What is MCSNet?
MCSNet is an Internet provider that provides wireless high speed Internet in Alberta.
A Commitment of Service for Rural Communities
MCSNet was founded in 1995, and by 1998 the Internet services were expanded to provide DSL in St Paul, Alberta. In 2002, wireless high speed service was launched as the first and only high speed solution for rural communities in the region at that time. Today, we are Alberta's largest fixed wireless ISP. We are focused on providing reliable high speed Internet for Alberta's rural residents. Our pursuits include expanding our coverage areas to provide a high speed Internet option to more communities that may have been left behind, as well as continuing to develop and provide modern services to keep our rural communities competitive.
- MCSNet is a company with roots in St. Paul dating back to
1989. The name "MCS" is an acronym for Micro
Computer Store. Micro Computer Store opened its doors in
October 1989 after having operated for a few months as a
home-based business. The company only had a small
working area but served its clients very well.
- After a few years of continuous expansion, the Micro
Computer Store added a division to its operation: a consumer
electronics franchise was purchased and opened its doors in
August 1995 with 900 sq. feet of retail space.
- In December 1995 MCS joined Corporate Computers (CCINET)
as an affiliate to offer Internet connections in the St. Paul
area. As a result, MCSNet became the first Internet Service
Provider in the St. Paul area.
- In August 1996, MCS moved to its present location, the
Downtown Mall and expanded its operation to include home
electronics, in a retail area of 6000 sq. feet.
- By August 1998, the retail area had been expanded further to
10 000 sq. feet and a new service, DSL high-speed Internet had
been launched. MCSNet marked the history of North-eastern Alberta
by being the first Internet Service Provider to offer DSL
- As of July 2002, MCSNet is reaching out to rural clients outside
the range of DSL by offering a new High Speed Wireless service. Since this time, MCSNet has undergone major expansion to deploy high-speed Internet in the MD of Bonnyville, County of Two Hills, Lac La Biche County, Smoky Lake County, Westlock County, Sturgeon County, Lamont County, and the County of Thorhild.
- In 2006 MCSNet was invited by the County of Athabasca to bring our service to their ratepayers.
- In the spring of 2008, HMS-I-Net was acquired, expanding coverage in the County of Vermilion River, the County of Minburn, and into Saskatchewan. This coverage was further developed with the acquisition of Midwest Communications in the Lloydminster area.
- In 2009, MCSNet was chosen by Strathcona County and Beaver County to deploy services in their districts.
- As Alberta's largest fixed wireless ISP, MCSNet currently provides service to hundreds of locations in over 20 counties.